Memorial day is a funny day to celebrate. People died, that sucked. But, nonetheless Vivien greeted us in the morning, “Happy Memorial day!” It was a day off for her and the opening of her cousin’s pool for the season, so it was a happy day.
Later a big table of family and friends went to Campanile for it’s annual Memorial Day BBQ insert shot of me shoving pork ribs in my mouth, had I thought to take a picture). We had three departed dads between us. We toasted them. My father was in the service during the Korean War. He never left Virginia, but knowing my dad I bet he saw action! ( ba- dum)
Sometimes there is almost a moment where you forget your loved one is dead. The next moment you think it can’t be true.
The food of course was great and I’m picking the rib meat out of my teeth still ( well, I ate leftovers for lunch). My contribution to the dinner was making a Quiz for the diners. I love games and I thought I would share it with you. It’s from a variety of sources. Answers below.
Have a good week.
1)These three holidays are tops in BBQing. Please rank from 1 to 3
4th of July
2) Decorating soliders graves took off during which war?
3) Memorial Day was declared a Federal Holiday under which President?
4) The United States Naval Academy is located in what state?
5)Their motto, “Semper Paratus,” means “always ready.”
6) In which war did Deborah Sampson disguise herself as a man so that she could go to battle as a solider?
7) What is the Maximum Number of Dependents (under the age of
18) that one is allowed to have in order to enlist in the U.S.
8) Whose picture is on the Purple Heart medal?
A) President Lincoln B) An unidentified soldier C)President Washington
D) The First Secretary of Defense
a) One b) Two c) Five d) No Maximum
9) In which war were tanks introduced?
Which Country introduced them?
What was the nickname of the B-17 in WWII ?
1) 4th of july is number one, then Memorial, then Labor
2) civil war
3) Nixon… 1971 it became a federal holiday
5) coast guard
6) Revolutionary War. I was fascinated with her as a kid. My mom use to take us to the Sisterhood bookstore in Westwood. I bought a book called “The Secret Solider“. How Debra Sampson disguised as a man fought the British. She was found out when she was shot and they ripped off her pants to give her medical treatment. She was cool.
10) Britain, most people guess Germany, but there tanks were not great
11) The Flying Fortress